15 May 2008

Blogs in Their Summer Clothes - 2

This is the second in an occasional series highlighting blogs and other sites to which I link from "Books in the Trees". In the first instalment, I said a little bit about the blogs of Harvey Molloy, Helen Rickerby, Giant Sparrow, Meliors Simms and Kay McKenzie Cooke. Here's another four blogs, and one web site, worthy of your attention.

  • I mentioned in the first instalment that Harvey and Helen's blogs had served as role models for me when I first set up this blog. That's true, but going a little further back, it was Fionnaigh McKenzie's blog Beautiful Monsters that first made me realise that a blog could be a work of art - not that I'm claiming the same status for "Books in the Trees". Fionnaigh, who was another member of the CREW 256 "Writing the Landscape" class in 2003, is a fine poet who infuses her blog with the same spirit as her poetry.
  • I met Edwin McRae through the New Zealand Society of Authors Mentoring Scheme. As well as being a cyberpunk writer, Edwin is a storyliner for Shortland Street - so he knows the inside goss before anyone else, because he thinks it up!
  • Reading the Maps is a multi-author blog about literature, Marxism, and much else besides. I got in a bit of a stoush with them over their coverage of Bernard Gadd's death and literary/ideological views, but I still return there regularly for refreshing literary and political opinion.
  • James Dignan has a website rather than a blog - but "Blogs and Websites in Their Summer Clothes" sounds cumbersome, so I'm not going to change the title. I have known James for many years - since around 1986, in fact, when we were both involved in organising Halleycon, that year's NZ National Science Fiction Convention. A writer and musician when I first met him, his career as a visual artist and art reviewer for the Otago Daily Times has since taken off.
  • Finally for this instalment, I don't know John Crowley personally, but I do know and love his fiction, which occupies a space all of its own, somewhere between metaphysics, fantasy and realism. High points of his career include Little, Big; the Aegypt tetralogy; and The Translator. He's the only fantasy writer I know whose work has been ringingly endorsed by Harold Bloom

Enough for now. But I'll be back with another five blogs (or sites) to watch out for sometime in the not too distant future.

No comments: