12 July 2012

Poetry Readings Coming Up In Palmerston North, Takaka And Nelson

Just before I get onto the news of forthcoming readings, I have had another book review published in Landfall Review Online:

Tim Jones reviews Hilary and David by Laura Solomon.

(I have a lot of trouble with links to Landfall Review Online, so if this link does not work, look for the review entitled "Friends on Facebook".)

Forthcoming Poetry Readings

August: Palmerston North

Keith Westwater and I read at the Ballroom Cafe in Wellington in June - our first joint reading since last year's book launch tour for Men Briefly Explained and Tongues of Ash - and next month we're heading to Palmerston North to read: Here are the details:

When: Wednesday 15 August, 6:00pm
WherePalmerston North Central Library, Palmerston North

Here's the writeup from the Eventfinder site:

Wellington poets Tim Jones and Keith Westwater read from their new collections.

Keith Westwater's new book 'Tongues of Ash' won Interactive Publishing's Best First Book Award. "There is a no-nonsense specificity about Keith's poems, a refusal to privilege the smooth over the roughnesses of human experience....the book begins with an annotated map of Wellington as a special insert - which has room for romantic and family love, weather, landscapes, rocks and history." - Jack Ross, poet and academic

Tim Jones's new book 'Men Briefly Explained' was described by writer Mary McCallum as: "Tim Jones' new collection holds men up to the light with poems that are intimate and playful, smart and satirical. He focuses on the rituals and carapaces of men and the relevance of that gender in the future. Men Briefly Explained is an engaging and provocative read."

I've read once before in Palmerston North, and enjoyed it very much - I'm looking forward to reading there again.

September: Takaka and Nelson

It's been many years since I have been to Nelson, and I have never been to Golden Bay, but I am planning to remedy both oversights in September. Though details are still to be confirmed, this is how things look at the moment:

Thurs 20 Sept, 7.30pm: Bay Lit Awards presentation ceremony, The Mussel Inn

Fri 21 Sept, 1pm: Reading at Takaka Memorial Library

Mon 24 Sept, 6 for 6.30pm: Reading at Nelson Live Poets, The Free House, 95 Collingwood Street

Watch this space for further details, Facebook and other events, etc. If you live in Palmerston North or the Top of the South, I hope we'll get the chance to meet at one of these events.

2 comments:

Michelle Elvy said...

Sounds great, Tim -- when are you coming north?

Tim Jones said...

Hey, Palmerston North is north - otherwise, I'd be going to Palmerston!

I read in Auckland last November - if any of those high-falutin' Auckland literary festivals want to invite me back up to read, I'm sure I'd consider it ;-)