26 August 2013

Tuesday Poem: Ghosts, by Maria McMillan


I have seen ghosts
sliding under the surface,
skittish things flitting
in the boat’s wake
but only one has seen me.
A sea snake spiralled
out of the water
looked straight into my eyes
and was gone.

The dead can be reckless
I thought and then
Do I think this is death?

When I said goodbye to our sister
she curled small,
would not let me touch her,
never once lifted her face
while I was in the room.
My father cried
my mother patted me on the shoulder
and looked beyond me
to the garden.

I am not afraid of the sea
or the sun on my throat
or the gasp of the wind.
I am not afraid of the nights
where the sail is a shroud,
where we are not floating
but a weight passed forward
by many hands.

Credit note: "Ghosts" is included in Maria McMillan's first collection of poetry The Rope Walk (Seraph Press, 2013) and is reproduced here by permission of the poet and the publisher.

Tim says: I've enjoyed hearing Maria's poetry at various venues over the years, and so I was very pleased to hear that her first collection was coming out from Helen Rickerby's Seraph Press. I recently read the collection and enjoyed all of it, but two especial highlights for me were "Ghosts" and "1989", which Helen has recently run as a Tuesday Poem on her blog.

"Ghosts" is a beautiful, delicate and moving poem, and beyond that, I think it speaks for itself.

4 comments:

Penelope said...

I greatly enjoyed reading Maria's collection at home in Canberra, far from the sea. (Well, two hours from the sea, anyway.) Lovely indeed.

As to your segue line, Tim, I didn't know that stars had baths.

Kathleen Jones said...

Lovely poem Tim - I hadn't read Maria before.

Tim Jones said...

Thanks, Penelope and Kathleen!

Penelope, the stars are divided by the great "Messier/Less Messier" Classification. The western stars prefer baths, the eastern stars shower.

Michelle Elvy said...

This is lovely and quiet and so heartfelt. I love the connections between ghosts and the sea and visions and death... This is a lovely delicate thing. Looking forward to reading Maria's collection.