27 May 2011

Tales For Canterbury: Why You Should Buy A Copy

 


In just three months since the Christchurch earthquake of 22 February, editors Cassie Hart and Anna Caro have done an amazing job of pulling together Tales For Canterbury, a fundraising anthology to benefit the victims of the earthquake, with all proceeds going to the New Zealand Red Cross Earthquake Appeal. All the stories have been donated by their authors.

Tales For Canterbury is now published as an ebook (in pdf, mobi, and epub format) and as a paperback.

You can find out lots more info on the Tales For Canterbury Blog, but if you are wondering whether to buy or pre-order one, I suggest you ask yourself the following questions:

  • Do I want to support Christchurch residents in the wake of the February earthquake?
  • Do I like reading work by any of these writers? (I won't reproduce the full list here, but it includes names such as Neil Gaiman, Janis Freegard, Gwyneth Jones, Jay Lake, Helen Lowe, Tina Makereti, Juliet Marillier, Jeff Vandermeer, Mary Victoria, and Sean Williams, and there are 34 stories in all. One is by me.)
  • Can I afford NZ $12 for the ebook edition or NZ $24.95 for the paperback edition?

If the answer to the third question, and at least one of the first two questions, is "yes", then I think you are building a strong case for buying a copy!

And if you're fired up with enthusiasm, Anna and Cassie also have some ideas for how you can help promote Tales For Canterbury.

Here ends the sales pitch. If it hasn't convinced you, go ahead and buy the book anyway. The quality of the fiction is the ultimate argument.

2 comments:

Helen Lowe said...

Tim, I am waiting for my hard copies so I haven't dipped into the e-version, but I love the way it's laid out and given the range of authors am really looking forward to the ('real'--hehe) read.

Tim Jones said...

I'm the same, Helen - waiting for my hard copy version! I don't have an ebook reader as yet (except my computer, which isn't ideal to read on) - do you?

But you're right - I feel honoured that my story is in this company!