09 April 2008

How It Came To Pass: Transported

I posted earlier about the origins of my Earthdawn novel, Anarya's Secret. That started with a call from a RedBrick staff member who'd seen some of the writing linked from my website and thought I might be the person to write an Earthdawn novel for them.

The origins of Transported are a little similar, but more convoluted. In early 2007, I got an email message from Fiona Farrell, appointed to edit Random House New Zealand's Best New Zealand Fiction 4 anthology, to say that she had seen my story A Short History of the 20th Century, With Fries online in Flashquake and enjoyed it. Did I have any stories in the 3000-5000 word range, previously unpublished in book form, that I'd like to submit for BNZF4? I thought this offer over for 1.2 seconds, said I did, and submitted four stories, from which Fiona Farrell chose "Win a Day with Mikhail Gorbachev!" for the anthology.

That was rather nice. Striking while the iron was hot while not letting the grass grow under my feet, I mentioned to Harriet Allan of Random House that I was putting together the manuscript of my second collection of short stories (following 2001's Extreme Weather Events), and would she be interested in seeing it? She replied that she would. After we did some reordering and I added a couple of new stories, the deal was sealed, and my second short story collection, Transported, came into being. With the aid of excellent editor Claire Gummer, the manuscript was kneaded into shape


Transported Cover


I recently learned that Transported will be published on the 6th of June, and there's preliminary publicity up on the Random House NZ website. This is my first book to be published by a major publisher. Before the process started, I had a little trepidation about it - would I be chewed up and spat out by the giant corporate machine? So far, however, everyone at Random House has been an absolute pleasure to deal with, and I'm looking forward with no little excitement to launch day and beyond. I'll keep you posted!

6 comments:

Helen Rickerby said...

Congratulations Tim! That's very exciting. I look forward to seeing the book in all its published glory.

Unknown said...

Exciting stuff Tim - I'd like to read it!

Harvey Molloy said...

Well done that man!

Edwin said...

Excellent work, Tim. Looking forward to seeing it on the shelves. And well done on getting in on a major publisher. It's got to be all up and up from here.

Tim Jones said...

Thanks, Edwin. Fingers crossed for similar good news for you ...

Kay Cooke said...

Congratulations Tim, well done.